Modern Foreign Languages and International Links
At Haydn, we believe that a high-quality modern foreign language education equips pupils with an understanding of the world and their place within in. We value the celebration of language and culture and encourage all pupils to appreciate and respect the diversity in both our school and the wider community. We want language learning to be memorable and meaningful and aim to develop linguistic skills through a variety of interactive and engaging lessons. We want our children to embody our core values; to be ready, resilient, resourceful, reflective and respectful. The intent of our language teaching is to equip children not only with the ability to express spoken and written thoughts in another language, but to develop an international and inclusive outlook. We want our pupils to leave Haydn using language to help them think creatively, confidently and curiously.
The aims and objectives of learning a modern foreign language in primary school are:
· to foster an interest in learning other languages;
· to introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and fun;
· to make young children aware that language has structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another;
· to help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries;
· to develop their speaking and listening skills; to lay the foundations for future study.